Areas of expertise:
- Planning/implementing web activism strategies on an international level.
- Writing and editing for international audiences from an activist perspective.
- Ezine production/distribution, weblog/site production and maintenance.
Greenpeace International, Defending Our Oceans
May 2006 through present
- Produce and mail ezine in 12 different languages to 29 list segments (major driver of site traffic).
- Support field web editors - instructions, guidance and technical support.
- Co-write on board web brief/handbook.
- Produce feature stories and other original content.
- Collaborate with an international, globally distributed team.
- Create and maintain weblogs in MoveableType.
- Develop web communication and activism strategy.
Several contracts, 2002 through 2005
On scene web editor/blogger
- Produced/wrote/edited feature stories and other original content.
- Created, launched and promoted online actions.
- Produced and oversaw production of multimedia products.
- Participated in online community development and web marketing.
- Collaborated with issue experts, graphics designers, marketers and logististicians.
- Completed strategic level overhaul of Climate-Energy section.
11 ship tours, 2001 through 2006
Electronics Technology Officer (maritime)
- Wrote and edited daily updates and features.
- Photography, audio and video.
- Collaborated with issue experts, imaging professionals and logistics support.
- Worked as part of an international team under physically adverse conditions.
Production Team Manager
Promotions.com - April 2000 through November 2001
- First line of support for all on board technology
(maritime, IT, etc.).
- Ensure communications, uplink and transmissions capabilities.
- Support photo, video and new media technical needs - including equipment and
- Improve and upgrade ship's communication technology.
- Emergency preparedness (am GMDSS certified)
Web editor (on board) Greenpeace
International - November 1999 through February 2000
production and site maintenance for Webstakes.com, which averaged over 50,000
unique visitors per day.
- Oversaw Webstakes.com site redesign implementation.
- Participated in development of new technology, and decision making, for mid
and long term planning.
- Authored custom promotions and promotion sub-sites,
including high profile clients such as Kraft Foods.
Greenpeace USA - May 1996 through October 1999
- Planned and oversaw a
multi-language, high traffic website focusing on stories from the Greenpeace
ship Arctic Sunrise.
- Provided daily text and multi-media content from the
ship under all conditions.
- Completed an analysis and wrap up report.
National Park Service - 4 summers
page maintenance (including lead web developer during a transition period).
- Wrote and edited press releases, letters to the editor, Op-Eds, web content
and a public service announcement.
- Pitched story ideas to reporters and answered
requests for information.
- Provided media support for Greenpeace actions.
- Conducted interviews with radio and print reporters as spokesperson.
contacts with reporters and maintained reporter lists.
- Provided input for
the development of media strategies.
- Worked to provide technology improvements
to aid Media Department staff.
- Assisted Video and Photo Departments.
- Communicated park history and discussed
- Participated in emergency preparedness and response.
Former member of a volunteer wilderness search and rescue team with
a rank of Field Team Leader. Completed the Platypus Digital Video Journalism
Boot Camp (NYC 2000).
B.A. in Sociology with a broad Liberal Arts background at
Saint Mary's College of Maryland, Oxford University (student exchange program).